Roadmap COVID-19 Response - Spring 2021
Please follow guidance from https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-response-spring-2021
Bexhill Primary Care Network Covid 19 Vaccination Programme
We are being asked why we can only book appointments a few days in advance, and why we are not giving appointments to all of those eligible, over the age of 60 at one time.
- The Government is currently working on a 'push' model. This means we are told, normally with only a few days to a week notice, when our vaccine supply will arrive.
- We cannot book appointments too far in advance, as we don't know the days in which we will receive them, and fear that we then may need to cancel appointments if the vaccine does not arrive.
The Pfizer vaccine has a shelf life, once defrosted, of 5 days.
- By the time the vaccine gets to us, we may only have 3-4 days in which we can then use it.
- We can only vaccinate in 3 day blocks. If we get 2 deliveries in one week, we can vaccinate in 6 day blocks.
We hope that we will be advised what we can move to a 'Pull' model soon, which means we can order the vaccines we need, and organise clinics in advance.
- This will enable us to advise patients of their appointment with more notice, and send invites to more patients.
- Once we get a larger supply of the Oxford Astra Zeneca vaccine, the same will apply.
- We are currently receiving between 1100 - 2000 vaccines per week and are working as quickly as we can to get patients booked in.